May and June are months that particularly bring us a lot of happiness. Seeing the flowers bloom, the green scape take over the white, the sun getting warmer every day! And one particular flower that fills the air with its enchanting scent is the lilac. Be it early type lilacs that bloom in May or the later one that flower in June, not only is the lilac beautiful, odourful but also edible.
So we’ve stocked up on some lilac simple syrup that we use throughout the summer for all sorts of drinks, ranging from lemonades to alcoholic beverages.
How to do that? Very easy, here’s the recipe!
Time: 20 minutes | Quantity: 500 ml
- 2 cups lilac flowers, without stems
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 5-10 blueberries
- Remove the flowers and make sure not to keep any green stems
- Boil water and sugar until sugar is melted
- Add lilac flowers and blueberries and boil for 10 minutes
- Strain through a sieve, bottle and refrigerate syrup
Simple syrup made at home can be kept for 2 months in the fridge.